In the face of an event everything else is secondary but one of the most important things that need to be finalized is the venue of the event. Each event has a different requirement which makes the task of choosing a venue a meticulous one. If we see popular culture, one of the many tropes in movies based on the wedding theme, is the venue of the wedding. In most movies the bride is seen to be fussing over the venue of her wedding or fighting with a competitor for the same venue. Be it finding the right place and booking it in advance or be it randomly coming across a place that seems like the house of your dream wedding; planning a wedding around the location and the venue is not for the faint hearted.
Right from Monica in F.R.I.E.N.D.S who happens to be at a museum that she falls in love with to hold her wedding, to Schmidt in New Girl, who does various antics to book the Lisbon for his wedding , till he realises that he doesn’t care for the place as long as he is with the one he loves, all T.V. shows direct us to the point that finding the right venue for a wedding is actually a big deal and requires a great deal of patience and vigilance.
With the onset of the Pandemic, many people are choosing smaller, more cosy venues to keep their intimate weddings. But again there are others who want more space for social distancing, or want a lot of grandeur even if the guest list is small. In either case you need to know what excites you, and what is your unique style of venue.
The whole tone of your wedding, the decorations you will make, the way your wedding will look in photographs, the seating arrangement of the guests, the size of the stage for the bride and groom, the set up for food and drinks, the set up for a dance floor, the colour palette of your wedding, the practicality of the location, the ease with which the guests will be able to reach the wedding, are all dependent on the right choice of location and venue. Moreover the amenities and facilities provided by the correct wedding venue go a long way, from keeping away the hassle for the bridal and groom party during the wedding, and being able to enjoy their day to the fullest.
Dulhaniyaa.com’s team brings to you specially curated content that acts as the ultimate guide to finding and booking your Wedding Venue in Janakpuri.
The following things may help you understand all you need to know before you finalise your wedding venue in Janakpuri: Things to consider before choosing your venue , types of venues, different aspects of venues, services offered by venue vendors, venues for different functions,budget ranges, processes of booking your wedding venue, things to consider at the time of pandemic and questions to ask your venue vendor.
Things to consider before choosing your Wedding Venue:
1. Budget: There is nothing more important than understanding the limits of your budget. You cannot set your heart on a grand venue if you have a small budget. Make sure you understand your price range and then do the market research for the type of venue you want to be looking at.
2. Small vs Grand Wedding: Venues and locations come in all shapes and sizes. Once you have finalized the upper limit of your budget you need to see if you are someone who wants to hold a grand wedding with the Big Fat Indian Wedding Shenanigans, or a small personalized wedding with few close friends in the venue of your choice. These two things will make you understand your wedding venue needs.
3. Residential vs Destination Wedding: Gone are the days when people stuck to their hometowns for keeping their children’s weddings. These days people have become more adventurous and want to explore a unique destination for their wedding, to experience the best moments of their life. Depending on what excites you, you need to first know where you want to find a venue in your place of residence or you wish to find a unique destination, in the hills, beachside, island, house boat, a forest, lake side, or whatever other thing tickles your fancy.
4. Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding: Even when you know the grandeur and location of your wedding you need to know whether you want to keep your wedding indoors or outdoors. While indoor weddings have the option of venues like banquet halls, boutique hotels, resorts, community halls, dharamshalas; outdoor weddings have the options of using terrace gardens, resort lawns, open banquets and farm houses.
5. Season of the Wedding: As per the Indian standard there are two major times that weddings take place, one is the peak of winters, and one is during spring to summer months. This will greatly decide what kind of venue you want to select. Choosing an outdoor venue in hot summer season will lead to extreme sweating and dripping away of the make up, thus you might want to consider keeping your wedding at a place that makes provisions for the cooling. Either you would want to keep the wedding indoors with an air conditioning system, or even outdoors, you would want your vendor to provide open air cooling systems to keep you and your guests comfortable. If it's winter you may want to be indoors as closed spaces provide more warmth and allow you to do all kinds of fashion without worrying about feeling cold, or you would want your vendor to make open air heating arrangements like large heaters/ blowers and bonfire to keep your guests comfortable. Moreover, sometimes it may rain without a warning so you will need to know about the makeshift arrangements your vendor can provide in case of a downpour.
6. Guest Accommodation: One of the most important things to keep in mind while deciding the wedding venue is the convenience of the guests. This can be done in two ways. Either the wedding venue also provides accommodation to your guests and you personalize your package according to those arrangements, or you need to make sure that the place you have arranged for the accommodation of your out station guests is easily accessible to your wedding venue. This is only applicable for the guests who may be coming from far away places and have no place of their own to stay in the city destination of the wedding, so keeping the accomodation close or within the venue of the wedding is an important thing to consider while deciding your type of wedding venue.
7. Venue policy on hiring outside Vendors : In case of a wedding there are two scenarios , either your venue comes with a list of their own vendors, or you want to hire vendors from outside the venue. Depending on your budget and needs you will need to decide whether you are hiring outside vendors or not, for other wedding facilities, and if you are doing so what is the venue policy on hiring outside vendors. While some venues may be open to outside vendors, others have very rigid in-house policies. You must choose your venue only after considering this.
8. Locality of Venue: It's important to check the surroundings and the locality of the venue. Sometimes the venue is amazing but it is located in a terrible place. This leaves a very bad impression on the guests. Even if you are able to impress them with the decor and the food and your hospitality, if the locality of the venue was bad, the guests are bound to remember that for some time.
9. Parking Space: Gone are the days when relatives used to all get together to board a bus and come to the venue of the wedding. These days everyone likes to travel in the comfort of their own vehicle. If the parking space is too far away from the venue or not big enough to accommodate your guests, it will spoil the experience of the guests. Women decked up in beautiful and heavy attires with high heels will have to walk all the way from a far away parking lot to the venue, making them tired and disappointed by the time they reach your venue. Remember everyone is coming there to have a good time. No one wants to do a workout while reaching the wedding venue.
10. The Issue of Noise: There are two important things that need to be kept in mind while finalising the venue. One that the venue is not surrounded by a place that creates a lot of noise like a railway station, an airport, or a construction site. The noise pollution from these surroundings might ruin the fun of your guests, who have come to have a good time. Another thing to keep in mind is that the venue is not located in a residential area, in which case the noise of the music from your venue may not be acceptable to the residents and there may be rules that prevent you from playing music after a certain time limit. This too will spoil the fun of the guests who have come with the intention of dancing and merry making.
11. Green Rooms: Usually at the wedding or reception venue, the bride, groom or the relatives need some room to keep their belongings or dress up and touch up. Make sure your venue has proper green room arrangements as per your requirement otherwise it will be very difficult for people to find a place to dress themselves and put their best feet forward.
12. Childcare Facilities:Everyone wants to have a good time at weddings including parents of young children. It is always good to know if your venue has baby changing facilities, or if they have baby sitting facilities, or are there any small events done simultaneously to keep the kids occupied.
13. Disability Friendliness : Finally if you are considering calling aged relatives who walk using a stick or a walker, or cannot climb stairs or need to use wheelchairs, you can make sure that your venue has wheelchair facilities, ramps and elevators for the benefit of such guests.
Types of Venue
Once you are prepared for the things that you need to consider before finalizing your venue, there is a wide range of venue types to choose from as per one’s liking and needs.
1. Hotels: One of the most common venues for wedding and related functions is the hotel. Hotels come in a wide variety: Budget and value hotels, Inns, Bread and Breakfasts, Mid-Range Hotels, Family Hotels, Resorts, Beach resorts, Holiday resorts, Boutique Hotels, Luxury and High- End hotels, hotels on private islands and hotels that float. One can decide the style of hotel one wants as their venue, depending on the budget, size, location and other basic requirements mentioned above. Hotels provide Reception halls, Ballrooms, community halls, banquet halls etc. as the location for various wedding events. Even the terrace, lawns/ gardens, or poolside areas of hotels can be used as venues to keep various wedding functions.
2. Farmhouses: Usually located around the suburbs of any big city, farmhouses are great wedding venues. They have the option of keeping both indoor and outdoor events in the same space, depending upon the area you have booked for the event. A Farmhouse wedding gives the vibe of a mini destination wedding and it has the option of repurposing the same space for different pre and post wedding functions as well. Many farmhouses often provide accommodation for guests as well and make a farmhouse wedding a unique experience.
3. Gardens: There are many huge size marriage gardens that may or may not be part of a Hotel chain. These venues host outdoor weddings with beautiful green settings, trees and flowers in the background and sometimes even fountains and other water elements. The Garden is an ideal choice if one plans to have a somewhat intimate wedding as most gardens cannot accommodate more than 500 people.
4. Private Properties: Some people like to book something extraordinary such as a backyard or a terrace. These locations provide for a perfect DIY opportunity for the theme of the decor. These types of properties are common among people who want to hold extremely intimate ceremonies with no more than 150 people.
5. Palaces and Forts: Many people want to have grand destination weddings with a royal feel to it. These days various forts and palaces have become popular destinations for weddings. Weddings in Palaces allow for the space of a long guest list, accommodating upto 2500-3000 people and they also offer a lot of variability in possibilities of the sitting arrangement.
6. Beaches and Islands: Another common destination for weddings these days are beaches and islands. With a picturesque background and unlimited options for a dreamy photo shoot, this is a great venue for water babies who enjoy the serenity of the waters. If you have a higher budget range you can also book a private island all for your wedding party.
7. Golf Course: A more luxurious version of the gardens or the lawn/ farmhouse wedding venue, golf courses have large carpets of well kept green grass that make for a beautiful backdrop for your wedding photography. Though golf courses may be exclusively available only to the members, you can always enquire if it is a possibility for you. The lavish foliage will make for an amazing outdoor wedding venue.
8. Places of Worship: Many cultures hold their weddings in places of worship such as the SIkhs, Christians and some communities of the Southern part of India. Usually these places may have small adjoined halls or banquets to host the guest for dining and sitting. Usually the main ceremony takes place in the place of worship, but the other pre- wedding ceremonies and reception happen in another venue.
9. House Boats or Cruises: These days many people are considering getting married over water. So they book houseboats for intimate weddings and cruises for grand weddings.This is usually a luxury experience and people who are obsessed with the nautical theme or the water theme can hold weddings at these venues.
There are still more types of venues such as vineyards, stadiums and amusement parks, but they have still not gained popularity in the Indian market.
Different Aspects of the Wedding Venue
1. Space: Depending on the number of guests you plan to invite to your wedding, you need to see if a wedding venue has the capacity to accommodate that many people in one place. You don’t want the place to get so crowded that it hampers mobility and does not provide much breathing space. Particularly in the time of pandemic it is important to see that there is enough space left for social distancing.
2. Staff: You need to make sure that the venue provides you with perfectly trained staff and the ratio of staff to guest is perfect so that there is no mismanagement in the hospitality during the wedding ceremony and other functions.
3. Menu: If the venue provides an in house caterer, make sure that you specify all the needs according to eating habits. If you want multi cuisines, if you want vegetarian or vegan options, if you want gluten free options, or if you want non vegetarian options, you must discuss this with the in house food service in advance, so that there is no issue at the time of the event.
4. Alcohol and Bar: If you need to provide alcohol at your wedding venue, you need to make sure that they have a liquor license, or if they do not provide their own alcohol, make sure you consult in advance if outside alcohol is allowed to be brought into the wedding venue.
5. Cultural Programme and Entertainment: Nowadays many wedding venues have started providing inhouse entertainment packages and cultural programmes to keep the guests at your wedding entertained. If you wish for such a service to be provided to you consult your venue vendor before finalizing the booking.
6. DJ and Music: The most fun element of any wedding is the music and the dance. These days people usually prefer to keep a DJ. Sometimes the venue provides an in-house DJ and sound facilities. Before finalizing the venue, discuss with your venue vendor if they have the option of providing an in-house DJ or if you need to make those arrangements yourself.
Services offered by Wedding Venues in Janakpuri
Bridal Changing rooms
In House Decoration. Outside Decoration may or may not be allowed
Alcohol and Bar Services
Electricity & Backup
In House Caterer and outside caterer
Multi-cuisine, and catering.
Wedding Venues in Janakpuri for different functions
1. Haldi/Manjha Ceremony: These days the Haldi ceremony for both, the bride and groom is not just another ritual that is done by the family members for auspiciousness and glow of the skin, but it is an event in which every one enjoys, like they do in the festival of Holi. Additionally, the guests want to match with the decor and the theme of the function by wearing clothes in the hue of yellows. The decor is also full of yellow flowers and yellow lights that sit well with the occasion. The pre wedding venue for this ceremony needs to accommodate these trends, where there is space for the bride or the groom to sit for the haldi, but there is also space for people to have fun with colours, throw them around on one another, sing and dance together. Though many people prefer to keep the haldi ceremony at home, nowadays, some people are choosing to keep their Haldi venue in outdoor locations. Since Haldi functions happen during the day, the natural light available in outdoor pre wedding venues helps with the celebration, the decoration and the photography. These can include small lawns, terraces, farm houses and gardens.
2. Mehendi Ceremony: The Mehendi ceremony starts during the day and goes well into the late evening. The Mehendi ceremony comprises the bridal mehendi along with mehendi application on the guests and often followed by dancing and dinner. The pre wedding venue for the Mehendi ceremony can be both indoors or outdoors, but due to its prolonged duration, it is better to keep in mind the climate. The Bride and the guests have to sit for hours with mehendi on their palms and feet and so the venue should be comfortable. Keeping a Mehendi function indoors during summers is a good idea, as one can run the air conditioning. In winters it is better to keep it outdoors in sunlight , to enjoy a warm day. The ideal pre wedding venues for a mehendi function are banquet halls, lawns, gardens and backyards.
3. Engagement/ Mangni/Kurmai Ceremony: The Engagement ceremony is celebrated differently among different families. Some prefer to do a grand function in a big venue with a large number of guests , while others prefer a smaller intimate function with a few family members and friends. The main highlight of the event is the ring exchange and some people also revel in post engagement dancing, drinking and general merry making. In either case the engagement ceremony, though grander than the haldi or the mehendi, is comparably smaller than the main wedding event. Make sure that your pre wedding venue accommodates a set up where the focus is on the bride and groom; the other guests have a chance to easily mingle with the couple and there is some space for dancing and dining. Almost all venues that are suitable for the wedding day are also suitable for the engagement day. But, the most popular venues for this pre wedding event are banquet halls, hotels, lawns, forts, palaces, gardens and farmhouses.
4. Sangeet/ Cocktail Party: One of the most awaited events of the whole wedding fiesta, the Sangeet and the Cocktail party is the time when everyone wants to have the time of their life. This requires a pre wedding venue with a lot of space for those choreographed dances and the phoophajis and tayajis doing their nagin dances, while some guests gulp down glass upon glass of alcohol. This event calls for a venue with a bar and a dance floor, apart from a seating set up where the guests sitting as the audience can enjoy the dance performances taking place. The perfect pre wedding venues for this event are open gardens, beach side, banquet halls and farmhouses.
5. Wedding Ceremony: The main event of the entire series of events, the largest and the grandest of the arrangements are made for this occasion. Be it the stage set up for the bride and groom, the mandap set up for the phere in a Hindu wedding or the gender segregation setup in a Muslim weddinng, each aspect of a wedding needs a lot of space and set up. So people book big spacious areas for their wedding ceremony. The ideal wedding venue for your style of wedding can be anything in the range of venues discussed in detail in the previous section.
6. Reception/ Walima: The ceremony most important next to the main wedding event is the Reception among all the communities. This requires inviting most of the next of kin and close friends. This event requires a stage set up for the bride and groom, a sitting area for the guests and a dining space. The post wedding venues most suitable for this event include hotels, resorts, banquet halls, farmhouses, gardens, terrace, private properties and lawns.
Budget Range of Wedding Venues in Janakpuri
There are various factors that affect the cost of a wedding venue . These include the wedding date, the number of guests, guest accommodation, additional services, location of the wedding venue. While some places may chalk out a budget depending on the services you demand, at the outset most venues have a basic fixed per plate cost of their venue. Rest of the number of services required exceed the cost included in the per plate charges, you may need to pay extra as per your discussion with the vendor.
Though the budget of Wedding Venues in Delhi/ NCR lies between the ranges of Rs.549 per plate to Rs. 3500 per plate; the exact prices of wedding venues in Janakpuri can be obtained by requesting the venue once you contact them.
Processes of Booking your Wedding Venue
1. Finalize your budget. One can find wedding venues in various budget ranges. Make an estimate of what kind of wedding you want to keep, how many guests are being invited, will the guests need accommodation, will all the pre-wedding functions be hosted in the same venue , and estimate an approximate budget that you want to spend on the wedding venue.
2. Choose the type of venue you want that fits your budget as well as your needs and filter out the vendors that offer that type of venue.
3. Since wedding venues are always in demand, make sure you know your wedding date in great avance and book your venue at least 3-4 months before the wedding.
4. Ask about the cancellation and refund policy of the venue , in case of a mishap or an unforeseen cancellation or postponement.
5. Check out the reviews given to the vendors on the internet to make sure you make an informed decision.
6. Make a list of all the ceremonies you want to host in the venue and discuss options of utilising different spaces within the venue depending on the guest list for each event.
7. Ask about their policies regarding outside vendors. Customize your package as per your need . Do not be forced into using their own vendors. If you have other options of vendors for your own photography or decoration or make -up artists etc. find a venue that allows outside vendors.
8. Ask about the services that are included in your package. Also ask about the advance policy.
9. Make a list of all the things that you need to be provided by the wedding venue such as lighting, sound, sitting arrangement and make sure you discuss the rates of each of the services.
10. Always draw a contract before finalizing your booking. It is good to have a written record of all the services promised to you by the vendor in the decided costs, so that there are no hidden charges that may trouble you later.
Things to consider during the Pandemic
While booking a wedding venue in Janakpuri, many things need to be kept in consideration, keeping in mind the restrictions and precautions as per the pandemic.
1. Make sure that your wedding venue has ample space for social distancing.
2. The restrictions on timings are comparatively high as compared to other places in Delhi NCR and so venues may not be able to offer certain services.. Make sure you make your booking well in advance to secure a wedding venue for yourself and talk to them about the peculiar restrictions.
3. Even though the wedding events are now being allowed to be conducted, the venues are running at 50 percent capacity and the rules for the upper limit of guests is fluctuating between 50-200. Make sure you are updated about the latest maximum occupancy allowed for your venue before finalizing your booking.
4. Ensure that your venue has a good ventilation system, as places with proper air circulation are less risky in spreading CoronaVirus.
Questions to ask your Wedding Venue Vendor
1. What are the per plate charges of the venue?
2. Are services such as light, sound, food and music provided by the venue?
3. Are outside vendors allowed to make arrangements in the wedding venue?
4. What are the cancellation and refund policies?
5. What are the services included in the package offered by the venue?
6. Are the packages customizable?
7. How can the same venue space be repurposed for different wedding ceremonies?
Dulhaniyaa.com provides service guarantee. If you book a venue for a given day , for a given time, it will send you a vendor. Even if the venue you booked is unavailable at the last moment for any reason, Dulhaniyaa will guarantee you a replacement in your budget. Dulhaniyaa.com promises quality. If you are told that the products of a particular quality will be used, it will never be the case that the vendor uses a product of a lower quality. Dulhaniyaa.com comes with the assurance of lowest market rates. All our vendors offer the best prices in the market.
Make sure you are clear about your budget. Then the second thing you need to be sure about is the type of venue you want and see if they are able to accommodate all your needs in their venue. Have a clear communication regarding their outside vendor policy to avoid any conflict later.
This totally depends on the advance policy of the vendor. Some may charge a certain percentage of the amount in advance while others may ask for a full payment. Make sure you talk to them about their cancellation and refund policy.
Each wedding venue has a different policy on allowance of outside vendors. Some venues follow strict rules of in-house services, while others may make allowances and adjustments according to your needs. Make sure you are clear about these policies of the venue of your choice, before booking a venue.
Wish you a fun time experimenting with your decorations from vendors at Dulhaniyaa.com !!